Texan vibrios died after eating raw oysters

Texan vibrios died after eating raw oysters

A woman from Texas who came to La to visit, died from eating raw oysters purchased at the local market.

Jeannette LeBlanc in September at the time came with their friends and family in Louisiana. One woman bought about two dozen raw oysters on the local market. Arriving home, she ate them, and soon felt ill.

Texan vibrios died after eating raw oysters

«After 36 hours she began to choke, her feet got a rash and so on,» explains the wife LeBlanc, Vicki Bergquist.

At first, the close decided that the woman has allergies, but the situation began to deteriorate. LeBlanc was hospitalized. In the hospital the woman was diagnosed with vibrios, reports KLFY. The doctors have taken all possible measures for treatment of the patient, however, to save her failed.

Jeannette LeBlanc died 21 days after hospitalization, on October 15 last year.

Vibrios – a disease caused by a pathogen, the bacterium V. Vulnificus. The bacterium can contain almost any fish and other seafood, but is killed by heat treatment. Most often it affects the plankton, small fish, shellfish, including oysters that live in contaminated water. Bacteria of the genus Vibrio have started to actively proliferate in response to global warming and increasing water temperature of the oceans. The disease may be accompanied by a number of symptoms: elevated temperature, rash, fever, sepsis, diarrhoea, acute urethritis, cardiovascular. Can cause related diseases – meningitis, encephalitis, and even cholera.

Specialists of the Center for control and prevention of disease have claimed that the majority of people infected with vibriosis, become infected by eating raw or undercooked shellfish, especially oysters. It is also possible to get vibriosis, having an open wound and being in a polluted pond bacteria with salt water.

The Center for control and disease prevention recommend the following rules, which will allow you to protect yourself and the people you love from vibrios:

  • Do not eat raw or undercooked oysters and other shellfish. They must undergo adequate heat treatment.
  • Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw shellfish. And even better – prepare them in special gloves.
  • Avoid swimming in pools with salt water if you have open wounds (including cuts and scrapes), or cover the wound with waterproof bandage. Under salt ponds should be understood not only the seas and oceans, but also the places where rivers flow into the sea – there is water also can be salty due to mixing.
  • If the wound was formed while swimming in salt water (for example, if you cut yourself on the shell), carefully wash the wound with soap and disinfect it.
  • If, during cooking or fishing, you touched shellfish or have contact with sea water, watch for changes on your skin. At the first appearance of the rash, itching and other symptoms, immediately consult a doctor.

Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *