Mothers with babies were evacuated by the fire escape in the Manhattan building: there are victims

Elderly residents and mothers with children were forced to go down the fire escape to save their lives. The flame in a house of Manhattan broke so that to evacuate through the entrance was not possible.

Three people, including two firefighters, were injured. Particularly strong burns were received by the tenant.

Dramatic video: elderly and mothers holding children climb down fire escapes on 163rd St. in Washington Heights. 1 resident badly burned. 2 firefighters injured. All expected to survive. The FDNY says started by candle, the resident fled, left door open, the wind spread flames.

— CeFaan Kim (@CeFaanKim) April 15, 2018

The incident occurred Sunday afternoon in Washington heights, Manhattan, this six-storey building at 549 W. 163rd Street.

According to the fire Department, the source of the fire was a candle left unattended by one of the tenants. The situation is exacerbated by the fact that the perpetrator of a fire, escaping from a burning building, left the door open. Because of wind the fire began to rapidly spread.

Per #FDNY Fire Marshals: Cause of today’s all-hands fire at 549 W 163 St Manhattan was accidental, candle. The Occupant fled the apartment, left the door open. Wind enhanced fire development.

— FDNY (@FDNY) April 15, 2018

In connection with the incident firefighters were reminded about safety.

«Close the door, escaping during a fire. It saves lives» — call rescuers.

When escaping a fire in your apartment, be #FDNYSmart — CLOSE THE DOOR as you make your exit. Closing the door saves lives

— FDNY (@FDNY) April 15, 2018