A couple from new York died in an Airbnb apartment in Mexico — and now the children are seeking the return of their remains home

Tragically ended the vacation for the 76-year-old Edward Winders and Barbara Moller of burnt Hills (new York). After a few days on arrival in San Miguel de Allende (Mexico) the couple was poisoned by carbon monoxide. And now their children are struggling with a bureaucratic system that prevents the return of mortal remains home.

The son of Winders Eric told WNYT that Edward and Barbara settled in a rented apartment on 15 November, and then a few days go to the link. According to the man, it wasn’t like his father, who every day called or wrote to him.

November 17, the owner of the apartment, concerned that tenants do not call for several days, went to the apartment. It was he who discovered the body of Edward Winders and Barbara Moller.

The next day after the discovery of the bodies of Eric and his sister Jennifer was contacted by representatives of the U.S. Embassy in Mexico, reporting the tragic news and warned that if they did not claim the body within 48 hours, according to the law of San Miguel, the dead will be buried in a common grave.

Eric and Jennifer immediately went to Mexico, where he learned that, while there is a consequence, the body will be at the disposal of the police. Law enforcement authorities reported that the cause of death of Edward and Barbara was carbon monoxide poisoning from heating devices.

Carbon monoxide (CO), which is called the «silent killer», is an extremely toxic gas without color, taste and smell. It is produced from the combustion of wood, oil, coal and gasoline. Among the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • headache,
  • dizziness,
  • shortness of breath,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting,
  • blurred vision.

If you ignore these symptoms, and soon you can lose consciousness and suffocate.

I just want to say to you all who are helping us through this, I so appreciate it, I may not have gotten back to you…

Posted by Rhi Jenerate on Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Because people cannot detect in the air the presence of co, usually the premises are equipped with special sensors. However, in an Airbnb apartment rented by the couple, such a device was not.

«Such things should not happen… — Eric said WNYT. — It is impossible that someone died that way.»

To show whether the charges to the owner of the property, the family of the victims have not yet decided. Now all forces are thrown on it to bring them back home, overcoming financial, legal and language obstacles.

Relatives and friends of the pair have created a GoFundMe page to raise funds to transport bodies in the United States. At the moment, collected more than $12 thousand.

In turn, the company AirBnB has released the following statement:

«We are deeply saddened by the tragedy and offer condolences to the families of ed and Barbara, their family and friends. We got in touch with their children, to provide full support and assistance at this difficult time».