Couple warns pet owners after the death of their beloved dog because of chewing gum

Couple warn other pet owners about a component found in chewing gum, which, according to them, is to blame for the death of their dog.

Cory and Chris Clark told me that their 6-year-old German Wirehaired pointer died over the weekend after I ate the gum. According to them, Jesus felt bad after that, and by the time they arrived to the vet, she was diagnosed with liver failure. As a result, the pet had to be put down.

«Few people understand how dangerous gum for animals,» wrote Cory in his post.

The ingredient contained in the gum, represents xylitol, and it is deadly for dogs because it is a strong stimulator of release of insulin. A small amount of xylitol can cause a dangerous lowering of blood sugar levels, and the effect may occur in 10-60 minutes after ingestion.

According to the FDA, the following symptoms will appear in dogs that had eaten xylitol:

  • A reduction in the activity;
  • Weakness;
  • Teeter;
  • Lack of coordination;
  • Lack of energy;
  • Seizures.

Xylitol can be used in baking, e.g., cakes, muffins and pies.